Wroaw's Way Wicked Board

Full Version: Fan Failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Pker,Sep 16 2007, 09:12 PM Wrote:
Womb-Raider,Sep 16 2007, 06:48 PM Wrote:take side of case off, insert large window fan (box fans preffered cuz they're easy to balance and go o the ground:D) All heat issues removed:)Aside from that call that 1800ineedhelpzplz number and tell them your issue. Odds are your gonna be without a video card for a few weeks.
Sounds good! but I'm a computer nub. What is a window fan and where can I get one?
I think he means a fan that looks like this expect a square one.
[Image: window-fan.jpg]

And you can get one at walmart?;)
Kyle,Sep 16 2007, 10:35 PM Wrote:
Pker,Sep 16 2007, 09:12 PM Wrote:
Womb-Raider,Sep 16 2007, 06:48 PM Wrote:take side of case off, insert large window fan (box fans preffered cuz they're easy to balance and go o the ground:D) All heat issues removed:)Aside from that call that 1800ineedhelpzplz number and tell them your issue. Odds are your gonna be without a video card for a few weeks.
Sounds good! but I'm a computer nub. What is a window fan and where can I get one?
I think he means a fan that looks like this expect a square one.
[Image: window-fan.jpg]

And you can get one at walmart?;)
haha i did that for so long.
[Image: 2152-b.jpg]

Thats more what i had in mind actually. Get one at your local walmart/walgreens/cvs
Pker,Sep 16 2007, 01:18 AM Wrote:Something is wrong with my computer or video card but I'm clueless about what to do. Whenever I turn on my computer it makes 2 beeping sounds. The first thing that comes up is a black screen saying "Alert! Previous fan failure!". I then have to press F1 for it to turn on all the way. I'm almost sure this error is the reason my performance goes to shit after about 30 minutes of game play. Whenever I restart it, the pattern repeats (30 minutes of good performance). I've dealt with this for a while now, but I found out how well my brother's video card (my old one that I gave to him) is holding up. His fps never goes below 100 however long he plays CS. Mine slowly continues to drop the longer I play. He has an AGP Geforce FX 5500 (about 50$) and mine is an AGP Geforce 7800 GS OC (bought 350$) and we both have the same type of DELL computer. Right now his video card works better than mine...but it doesn't have any errors. If you know anything about video cards or computers please tell me what you think I should do to fix this problem. ...And yes my brother is Calik.
I think something has friend on your vid card.

If it was a heat issue, it wouldn't be every 30 minutes on the dot. It would be whenever the card gets to a certain temperature. This would be the case if you turned it off once it started running slow, let it cool off, and then tried playing again. But I assume you don't do that. If it's really every 30 minutes after a reboot or something, I'm leaning towards video card.

Have you opened up your case to look at the fans? See if they are spinning still. Replacing your vid card isn't going to do much good if it's overheating because of a dead case or power supply fan. Open it up, look at the fans (don't worry, you won't hurt anything, just don't touch anything that looks like circuits if you don't know what you're touching.) Turn the computer on with the case opened up. watch all the fans, be sure they're all spinning, and spinning properly. I had one fan that lost a bearing or something, and would spin and wobble. It would push air, but not much at all.

Do that and report back.
Sveach,Sep 17 2007, 12:55 AM Wrote:If it was a heat issue, it wouldn't be every 30 minutes on the dot. It would be whenever the card gets to a certain temperature. This would be the case if you turned it off once it started running slow, let it cool off, and then tried playing again. But I assume you don't do that. If it's really every 30 minutes after a reboot or something, I'm leaning towards video card.
What I meant to say is about 30 minutes after playing a game like CS, not after a reboot. Anyway, I looked at the back of my Dell Dimension 4800 and there are two fans. The top one seems to spin fine but the bottom one isn't spinning whatsoever. Later I'll check to see if my brother's is working, but right now he's being too much of a dick to let me. This is exactly what the broken fan looks like:
[Image: jmcfanfi6.png]
Womb-Raider,Sep 16 2007, 01:48 PM Wrote:take side of case off, insert large window fan (box fans preffered cuz they're easy to balance and go o the ground:D) All heat issues removed:)Aside from that call that 1800ineedhelpzplz number and tell them your issue. Odds are your gonna be without a video card for a few weeks.
Oh my...I used to do that with my old computer haha....Remember when we used to play scrims and stuff...I had one normal fan for my computer haha.
Pker,Sep 16 2007, 08:41 PM Wrote:
Sveach,Sep 17 2007, 12:55 AM Wrote:If it was a heat issue, it wouldn't be every 30 minutes on the dot. It would be whenever the card gets to a certain temperature. This would be the case if you turned it off once it started running slow, let it cool off, and then tried playing again. But I assume you don't do that. If it's really every 30 minutes after a reboot or something, I'm leaning towards video card.
What I meant to say is about 30 minutes after playing a game like CS, not after a reboot. Anyway, I looked at the back of my Dell Dimension 4800 and there are two fans. The top one seems to spin fine but the bottom one isn't spinning whatsoever. Later I'll check to see if my brother's is working, but right now he's being too much of a dick to let me. This is exactly what the broken fan looks like:
[Image: jmcfanfi6.png]
You've definitely got a heat issue then. My current radeon used to do the same thing. I found out the heatsink on it didnt clip all the way on. My case is BTX style, so it mounts the mobo upside down, meaning the vid card is upside down too. It let the heatsink hang down and let the card overheat. I'd get about 20 minutes into a game and it'd freeze.

If a fan on your computer isn't spinning, that's bad. They don't make any of the fans stay off until a certain temp or anything, like cars do. It should be working. Open it up and make sure a wire didn't short out. :blink: If it didn't, run out, buy another fan and replace it. It's easy as hell to replace. Probably 4 screws and one plug. Plug only goes in one way, so you can't fuck that up.
Biggs has already given his opinion because Biggs has already gone through this. It's the 7000 series like said before, and the video card is already fuxed up even if you fix the fans/make the whole case cooler. You need a new card.
I have my computer open now and my video card looks to be in the same condition it was when I bought it. Maybe the melting issue was solely for the 7900's. But for me I think it all comes down to the broken fan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's