Index Members Server Files Mail Forum Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new laptop?
08-16-2007, 10:54 PM
new laptop?
Quote:) If you aren't sure whether it's worth getting one with more memory or not, do this: Spec out a laptop with a certain amount of ram, and see how much it would be to upgrade it. Keep in mind laptops almost always have only one slot for memory, so you can only buy one stick. Compare the price of that laptop + price of the memory to an equivalent laptop with the memory added in by the manufacturer. Sometimes its cheaper to get it with the memory, sometimes it's not.

Some laptops have 2 slots of ram, but as always, its better to use 2 of the same to get the best efficiency out of them. Mine has 2 slots of 512mb ram sticks.

[Image: sleepysheepcopy.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
new laptop?
Sveach,Aug 15 2007, 11:31 PM Wrote:I haven't looked at your choices in your first post. But:

1) "pin size" for the memory is going to be dependent on the laptop's motherboard. Mine uses 240 pin ddr2 sodimms. Otherr are different.

2) If you aren't sure whether it's worth getting one with more memory or not, do this: Spec out a laptop with a certain amount of ram, and see how much it would be to upgrade it. Keep in mind laptops almost always have only one slot for memory, so you can only buy one stick. Compare the price of that laptop + price of the memory to an equivalent laptop with the memory added in by the manufacturer. Sometimes its cheaper to get it with the memory, sometimes it's not.

3) You can buy a desktop for a lot cheaper with equivalent specs. Is it your money? Your dad should let you do what you want with your money, that's how you learn to manage it.

4) If you get a heavy duty gaming laptop, the battery life will be terrible. So don't get a laptop specced for gaming and expect it to last for 2 hours on battery. It most likely won't. Hardware is getting better at being powerful and efficient, but it's not perfect.

5) Keep in mind that it's neither easy or cheap to repair parts on laptops. I use and recommend Dells because of their very nice warranties. I dropped my laptop and crashed the hard drive in it. I logged onto dell's support site, spoke with a CS rep, gave them the error code, and I had a replacement hard drive on my door the next day. I switched the hard drives out, mailed the old one in, and I was done. No cost to me, thanks to the warranty. Since laptop parts are smaller and not as plentiful, they do cost more than their desktop equivalents. Keep in mind a company's warranty services, etc when buying.

If you have any specific hardware questions, ask away.
well man if ur gonna buy a dell, goto http://www.deals2buy.com/delldeals.htm cause they give u coupon codes nd shit 4 dells, pretty nice

[Image: 189777878.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply