Index Members Server Files Mail Forum Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Frets
06-22-2007, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2007 10:47 AM by Mister Beagle.)
Frets
Hello all, it's Mister Beagle!! Back with an all-new topic!!

Why, on stringed instruments, do the frets (or positions for non-fretted stringed instruments) get closer together as you go up the fingerboard?

ex.
[Image: 79075.jpg]

[Image: 189697525.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2007, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2007 11:11 AM by coca.)
Frets
Physics...less space is required for the string to vibrate at a different frequency

Try holding a piece of elastic between your fingers, as it lengthens you will notice changes in the frequency it makes when you strike it, but as you go along, the frequency is less distinguishable for the same amount of space...

That is, when it is short, lengthening it by 2cm will make a noticeable change in frequency, but when it is long you won't really notice the change, so a longer length is required to have the same frequency shift

Like, if there was an elastic string with tension on it, striking it would cause it to vibrate at a certain frequency. If it is nice and tight, lengthening it by 2cm might cause a frequency shift of say a semitone, but if it is not that tight then lengthening by 2cm might not change it so much, so maybe 3cm will be required for the same shift

Or something, can't be bothered Googling :b

Dwoppers says:
hands in ur pantz
•๋● Coca | <3 Elaine says:
o
lol
get ur hands out my pants
Dwoppers says:
wat
Dwoppers says:
no
Dwoppers says:
erm
HAHAHAHAHA
06-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Frets
Yeah what he said. I was going to guess something about arm length and it being easier to pluck the string, etc....but his answer is better:D

[Image: wroawbar.jpg]
Quote:[18:58] <@slxbot> SniperducK`: Stephen - Greek in origin, I've come to the conclusion that Stephen is just about the coolest male name. Whether it's prnounced 'Stef-an' or 'Steve-en' doesn't matter, it's just awesome. Steph and Stevie are also the coolest nicknames.
Find all posts by this user
06-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Frets
coca,Jun 21 2007, 08:08 PM Wrote:Physics...less space is required for the string to vibrate at a different frequency

Try holding a piece of elastic between your fingers, as it lengthens you will notice changes in the frequency it makes when you strike it, but as you go along, the frequency is less distinguishable for the same amount of space...

That is, when it is short, lengthening it by 2cm will make a noticeable change in frequency, but when it is long you won't really notice the change, so a longer length is required to have the same frequency shift

Like, if there was an elastic string with tension on it, striking it would cause it to vibrate at a certain frequency. If it is nice and tight, lengthening it by 2cm might cause a frequency shift of say a semitone, but if it is not that tight then lengthening by 2cm might not change it so much, so maybe 3cm will be required for the same shift

Or something, can't be bothered Googling :b
I concur

/saved me the trouble
//play a string instrument without frets, ya pansy

[Image: userbar323142zu7.gif]
aka witebuddha, piratebuddha, pumpbuddha, sepukku_master, skeezix, lockless, DragShot

[18:51:08] <Dwoppers> i just googled cock ring
[18:51:09] <Dwoppers> and wtf...

Womb-Raider,Oct 16 2005, 01:15 AM Wrote:I would like to be the first to mention, your a fucked up guy.