Wroaw's Way Wicked Board

Full Version: Computer help!!! Cuz I'm a noob.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have begun to notice that my computer no longer functions as fast as i would like it to (probably viruses, etc) so I am going to reformat the hard drive. I know how to do that and reinstalling everything is a piece of cake but the one problem I had with my laptop last time was the fact that I didn't have any of the drivers or whatever that allowed me to connect to the internet. My question is what do I need to find so I can easily get that done?

And is there anything else I can do to make my laptop for lack of a better term "better?" If it helps the brand of my laptop is Toshiba and am currently looking for the specs if needed. Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Simple: flash drive. copy the installation driver files onto one and install using that when you reformat:P
Most computers you buy retail come with a few CDs for the backup drivers, I believe.

As for your second question, just keeping your drivers up to date and a clean wipe periodically.
If you're set on reinstalling Windows, download your network card driver and then you can probably get the rest of your hardware drivers from Windows Update (automatic hardware detection + automatic driver downloading & installation)

If you choose not to reformat the drive during the Windows installation you can keep all your old files but any Windows-dependent viruses will be deactivated because the new install will use fresh configuration files, a fresh registry etc. Reformatting is overkill really unless you want to free up a load of space

If you need help identifying what network card driver you're currently using, press the Windows key + R and type "devmgmt.msc" then scroll down to Network Adapters and right click yours and then select properties and it should tell you what you need to know

As far as free antivirus programs go, I'd recommend Avast! Antivirus
coca,Jul 28 2009, 04:56 AM Wrote:If you're set on reinstalling Windows, download your network card driver and then you can probably get the rest of your hardware drivers from Windows Update (automatic hardware detection + automatic driver downloading & installation)

If you choose not to reformat the drive during the Windows installation you can keep all your old files but any Windows-dependent viruses will be deactivated because the new install will use fresh configuration files, a fresh registry etc. Reformatting is overkill really unless you want to free up a load of space

If you need help identifying what network card driver you're currently using, press the Windows key + R and type "devmgmt.msc" then scroll down to Network Adapters and right click yours and then select properties and it should tell you what you need to know

As far as free antivirus programs go, I'd recommend Avast! Antivirus
damn that was helpful. thanks again dude that was exactly what i was looking for!!!
Graff,Jul 28 2009, 10:09 PM Wrote:damn that was helpful. thanks again dude that was exactly what i was looking for!!!
Happy to help
Reference URL's