Wroaw's Way Wicked Board

Full Version: Help me out here with this Asus heatsink.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have this broken heatsink/fan combo that I need to take out. The problem is that the heatsink is fastened by these black plastic rods that I don't know how to remove. How would I go about doing this?
When I saw heatsink I thought of Mechs.
chainsaw - the answer to all of your demolition needs!

perhaps magnet screw things.
some pictorsnks to the product would be helpful.
They are probably attached by going through a hole on the motherboard. Look at the end of the "rods" and try and squeeze the sides together, in effect making the rod skinnier at the bottom, to slide it through the hole. Tons of motherboards fasten heatsinks this way, if this doesn't work, post detailed pics ;)
^^ That way = the Richard Simmons way. I hate attaching heatsinks like that! Then again I haven't had that setup since I had a Celeron 300 (which was overclocked to 450 of course).
so I have to take the motherboard OUT of the case? I was hoping for a painless way because I took out the front protector and the fan, it's just the heatsink I need to remove and there are the two pegs that appear to be how you described them.

They are plastic with a little rod in the middle and a wider head on the front end.
TheCheat,Feb 1 2006, 04:40 AM Wrote:so I have to take the motherboard OUT of the case? I was hoping for a painless way because I took out the front protector and the fan, it's just the heatsink I need to remove and there are the two pegs that appear to be how you described them.

They are plastic with a little rod in the middle and a wider head on the front end.
plyers sound like your friend in this case.
You can try using pliers, just don't bump em into anything, lol but i would suggest taking the mobo out of the case, i prefer doing that anyway, makes it easier to work on.
Reference URL's